Saturday, October 3, 2009

g-unit

Martha Tess Porter has many names in my household.  Among them are: Grandma, G-Ma, G-Unit, Gram, Marth, and sometimes Ashley refers to her as a "cracka" when she says, "us cracka's got to stick together!"
This incredible woman is my grandmother. 
I came home today as a surprise to my family.  Nobody knew.  She came out of her room to tell my dad that he should bring the trash cans in because tonight was going to be especially windy {50-60 mph believe it or not!}.  I told her I would tell him and she kind of did a double take.  As she asked me what I was doing home, we hugged.  That was probably one of the best hugs I've ever received from my granma.  I felt like she was genuinely happy to see me.  I could feel her love for me and knew that she missed me. 
My grandma is one of the most incredible people I know.  She has done everything.  Been a reporter, worked for the F.B.I.  You name it, she's done it.  I wish I could have her drive for life. 
One day a few weeks ago I decided to call her.  We talked for a bit about school and work, and the latest book she was reading, then we started talking fashion.  She told me she wanted to go buy jeans but they were "all so ugly!"  She started talking about the fashions she was watching on TV.  I asked her what channel she was wacthing and tuned in on the same one.  We probably spent about 7 minutes talking about what we liked or didn't like about each outfit that came on.  :)
I love it when we just talk.  I know I can always knock on her door when I'm home and sit in her room for an hour at a time and we can just talk.  I'm so grateful for the relationship I have developed with her.  She is such an inspiration.  Grandma has been through so much it almost doesn't seem fair, but she has come out stronger because of it. 
Golly I love that woman.  I hope I can grow up to be half the woman she is.

No comments: