Friday, September 4, 2015

Mental snapshot.

Yesterday we had the target ultrasound for our sweet little boy. A target ultrasound is where they really focus on looking at his development. They check his spine, heart, brain and fluids to make sure everything is progressing the way it should. Everything looks great and from the 3D ultrasound we got, he looks like a perfect mix of Jude and Ezra. Oh, and he yawned. He yawned and it was the cutest thing in the world.

We took Jude and Ezra and made a day of it. I'm sure people thought we were crazy when they saw a pregnant lady holding hands with a 1.5 year old followed by a dad holding a nine month old. In fact, I know they thought we were crazy. When our tech asked which pregnancy this was and I told her my third she said, "Oh! Oh, so...they're both yours." Her eyes got reeeal wide when I told her their birth dates and she realized all three are December babies born one year after another.

Before I got up on the exam chair, I settled Jude in her seat next to Cory and Ezra. I told Cory her tablet was in my bag in case she needed some technical sedation. Before I was able to hop onto the chair, Jude started climbing off hers saying, "Mommy? Mommy? Mommy?" She crawled onto the chair next to mine and rested her head on my chest for nearly the entire ultrasound, like she was protecting me. When we saw his face on the screen she perked up and said, "Baby!" I showed her his eyes, nose, mouth, arms and legs and she repeated after me and pointed to those parts on her. She kept saying "Mommy baby belly." A few times during the ultrasound she turned to face me and gave me lovey eyes, smiled and patted my chest. It's like she was making sure I was okay and letting me know she was really happy.

Not to be outdone by his big sister, Ezra reminded us he was there too with his squawks. Ezra's squawks cannot be ignored. He does them when he's happy and he does them when he's mad. The only way you can tell the difference is by looking at his face. He had the biggest, goofiest smile and shook his arms and legs so we knew he was happy. It's equal parts adorable and ridiculous and there is literally nothing we can do to stop it. He doesn't offer any warning prior and by the time you realize what's happening you're deaf in one ear. It wasn't the most relaxing ultrasound I've had, but it was my favorite. I loved that plans fell through and we "had" to bring our babies along. I love how well-behaved they were. I love that they got to see their baby brother. I love how they turn the simplest moments into the sweetest memories.

I was so worried after we had Jude that I wouldn't be able to love another child as much as I loved her. But with each pregnancy, I find that my heart grows along with my belly. Parenthood is such a beautiful thing. I've never been in a situation where I have to figure everything out as I go. I surprise myself with the things I swore I would never do that I'm doing (re: a baby tablet) and the things I thought I'd do that I'm not. Raising these children is the most wonderful and noble thing I will ever do with my life. I am so grateful to Cory for choosing this life with me. For not shying away from this baby army we're building and for jumping in with all his heart every time I get two pink lines on a pregnancy test. Heaven knows I couldn't do this without him. Especially when we have back-to-back days of poopy bathwater and crusted oatmeal hair.

5 comments:

meg bird said...

The image of Jude with her head on your chest is just too tender!

-Danica- said...

I'm crying again. Don't mind me. Why do I always cry reading your blog?? Brissa you are living up to everything Heavenly Father needs you to be in a wife and mother. Don't ever, ever forget it because you are doing such an incredible job.

J said...

Just found your blog. Your little family is beautiful. :)

http://herestothegoldendays.blogspot.com

kylee said...

confession. i sometimes ignore blog posts about babies because well, i just do. but i never never skip yours. never stop blogging about motherhood. your posts are the uplifting ones with humor and reality and power that makes me so excited to someday have it myself!

kyliebrooke|s said...

this is so beautiful and lovely and EXCITINGGGGGGG