Sunday, September 11, 2011

[9.11.2001]

i was getting ready for school
when my grandma told us to turn on the television.
i sat on the arm of the couch.
the curtains were open and the sun was shining
on the carpet
when i saw the second plane hit.
i thought it was fake.
i tried to rewind the moment in my head
hoping it was my imagination.
it wasn't.
i don't know why,
but we were sent to school that day.
classes were quiet.
students were somber.
it's all we talked about.
nothing else mattered.
it's strange to think my children will read and learn about this
in school and i will be able to tell them i saw it happen.
may we never forget the lives that were lost.
may we always remember the brave souls
who never gave up and kept going back to rescue 
as many people as possible.
and may we remember the unity we felt
and the strength we found in each other.
god bless america. 

4 comments:

Alex Byer said...

Lovely post darling :) Never forget.

Ren- Lady Of The Arts said...

lovely- I wrote about it yesterday too-
Please feel free to share your link to this post with mine- I like how we are all united-

Here is my post-

http://ladyofthearts.blogspot.com/2011/09/september-11-2001.html

Unknown said...

beautiful.

McKinley {Haolepinos} said...

I did two post yesterday... 9/11 was a sad sad day. And I too was wondering why I was sent to school. Now looking back on it, it seems like know one really new the impact of the attacks and how it would change history. PS I used this same picture too. Isn't it a great one? It captures so many emotions, and what it was like after the building collapsed.